Arroz con Pollo (at home)
Lastnight I made my wife and I "Arroz con Pollo" using leftover smoked chicken from two nights ago. The 1/2 Mexican in her always seems to crave traditional dishes from the US Southwest and northern Mexico regions as a predictable "go-to". Two nights ago we smoked a chicken on our pellet grill for Taco Tuesday (of course we had pulled chicken tacos), and this is a fun, creative way to repurpose leftover chicken using only a handful of other ingredients!
Recipe: Arroz con Pollo
1 ea Smoked Chicken: *left over from a whole smoked chicken
2 cups Jasmine Rice
1 qt. Chicken Stock (made from carcass of whole smoked chicken)
1 cup Chicken Bone Broth
1/4 cup Dried Parsley
1/2 cup Vegetable Seasoning (McKormick's has a GREAT product here)
1 ea White Onion; small dice
8 ea Baby Carrot; small dice
3 ea Garlic Clove; mince
1 qt. Water
1 ea Jalapeno; chop with seeds
TT SALT Himalayan Pink Sea Salt; SALT Tellicherry Pepper (course grind)
Garnish: fresh jalapeño slices; cilantro leaves; fresh salsa; flour tortillas
*The smoked chicken was prepared two days ago using a very simple Chile Lime Seasoning from Weber. That night we had "Pulled Chicken Tacos" and used the chicken carcass to make a great stock!
1. In a medium stock pot, add rice, stock, and a twist or two of S&P.
2. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer for approx. 12 min. (rice will still be wet/undone).
3. Fold dry seasoning into rice.
4. Add bone broth, carrot, onion, and garlic. *(I use bone broth because the collagen mixed with starches from the rice make for a wonderful creamy texture similar to a risotto)
5. Continue to simmer, adding water as necessary to keep moist.
6. Chop up the smoked chicken into small, bite-sized pieces. *(If you prefer, you can purchase a prepared rotisserie chicken from most markets).
7. Add cooked chicken, and fresh jalapeño to the pot.
8. Simmer for at least 30 min. to develop and meld all of the flavors.
9. Adjust seasoning with additional S&P.
10. Serve with blistered tortillas, fresh cilantro, sliced jalapeño, and Tequila Vinegar (stay tuned for recipe).
Today in Columbia, MO it's cold with freezing rain...and this dish is a wonderful warm up as we sit by the fire (and debate whether or not we want to see Bad Boys 3 today)!
I'd love to see your versions of "Arroz con Pollo" on social media by tagging me (@rockydunnam and @rockdrecipes) or by using the hashtag #rockdrecipes .